Pau's Blog

This is my blog that Mr.Hide made me do in English class! Have fun!!!! Bye!

Friday, February 09, 2007

Global Warming Research

Hi! It's me again. Today in class we had to start with researching about our topic for the project. I went to Google and found out the website for the EPA. It is The United States Enviromental Protection Agency. Inside, I found an interesting article. It gives a general information about the causes of global warming and an idea of what is the problem. This article helped me out a lot because it made me understand the general causes and consequences of global warming.

I learned that the greenhouse effect are concentrations of heat-trapping gases in the atmosphere. These gases don't allow heat, smoke, and things like that escape into the Earth, which has made the temperatures on Earth rise a lot lately. According to the NASA, 2005 and 1998 were the hottest years in history. This is very alarming because they are very recent.

Something that really shocked me was the following quote from the article.

If greenhouse gases continue to increase, climate models predict that the average temperature at the Earth's surface could increase from 2.5 to 10.4ºF above 1990 levels by the end of this century.

This made me realize this is a big problem and humans really need to solve it. If it isn't solved animals and all living things, including plants would die, leaving no food for humans. Also there would be severe droughts so there wouldn't be any water either. I couldn’t imagine leaving in a world with super high temperatures. I don’t like the climate in Cartagena because it is hot and humid so it would be really hard for me to tolerate more heat. I would like to leave in a cold place with snow and ice like Canada, lol.

The article also mentioned that scientists hypothesize that all this climate changes are happening because of humans carbon dioxide emissions, fossil fuel burnings, and more. They don't know for sure how much will the temperature increase or at what rate, though they know it will affect the planet very badly.

I think humans should work together by doing campaigns or such to encourage others to stop global warming. One way to stop it would be recycling, not wasting water, and such. Also certain organizations, such as Live Aid are making special fundraising concerts with artists from all around the world to earn money to solve this problem. A Live Aid concert for global warming is planned in June or July.

Next I want to know about which places are the most pollutants. I would also like to know some long-term consequences of global warming. This will help me to gain more general knowledge about my topic so then I can research about other things such as the greenhouse effects and carbon dioxide emissions. I also have heard that the theory of global warming is totally wrong, and instead there is global cooling. I think global cooling is something very interesting because that would make me much happier and less worried about sweating all day in a couple of years.

So that was all my research. See you later in my next post!
Bye! :P

1 Comments:

Blogger Valeria S. said...

Hi pau,
Your post is great. I think I will like to work with you in this project. I will also be less worried if instead of global warming it will be global cooling. In your post you said that you will like to know which places where the most pollutants and about emissions of greenhouse gasses, so you can visit my blog and see, because i wrote about the Kyoto protocol which is mostly that.

Bye (K)

Valeria S.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home